Wednesday, September 22, 2004

The Past Few Days...

... sucked.

Let's start with Monday. 4:10 pm, I restart my computer because it has run out of memory like it always does. Naturally, it has problems restarting (it always has). Takes 5, 10, 15, 20 tries to get it going sometimes. This time... it doesn't restart.

The next morning, (tuesday) I show up a half hour early... and after an hour and a half of trying, I can't get it to start. We bring in an outside computer after determining the motherboard has kakked. I manage to get it barely working, with no Network card and an amazing 16-color display. Not 16 bit. 16 color.

Doug's tech guy shows up, has one look, and says "You need a new computer" and leaves. Doug, believing him instantly (I mean, sure, it's true, but I said it, too) tells me to look up options for a new computer. Fine.

10:45 am Wednesday morning I get the surrogate up to speed. Sure it's a drop from 333MHz to 233MHz, but it has colors and the network functions, so bite me. Now I can live out my final days here on a craptacular computer with a video card worth more than our entire setup at home.

PS: One snag: anytime I try to save accross the network, there is a 4 minute hang. Haaang!

No comments: